I’d never heard of red onion squash until last week when my Abel & Cole fruit & veg box arrived. They’re called Onion Squash because of their shape but according to the Abel and Cole website they’re also known as “potimarron” because of their slight chestnut taste.
I decided to make a quick & easy dinner with the squash as I’d had a long day. So if you’re looking for something to do with these guys then here is my recommendation:
- Chop off the top and bottom of the squash. They are quite tough so use a sharp knife & be careful!
- Peel, deseed and chop up the squash into chunky chunks.
- Peel and chop up a white onion and a couple of cloves of garlic.
- Add all of the veg to an oven dish and cover lightly in olive oil
- Sprinkle a mixture of herbs over the veg. I used rosemary, thyme and oregano.
- Pop the dish into the oven for 30-40 minutes at a heat of around 180c
I served the squash on organic wholegrain brown rice, topped with homemade pesto and a side of freshly steamed broccoli. It was yummy, nourishing & warming on a very cold winter night!